Sunday, September 09, 2007

Clutter...

We are moving a bunch of our stuff into a storage unit. We initially are doing this because we are getting some new furniture and need to make room. Our condo is pretty much filled to the brink with stuff. But in the process of DE-cluttering, it's interesting what one holds onto.
I tell my neice and any young person, my advice to them is to not accumulate stuff. “But I need it...” they say or they “want” it. Boy do they have a wake up call coming to them someday.
I know, I should talk. I am the same way. Between Jason and I we have over 2000 LP records that we are dragging with us through life together. We LOVE them. We are MOVING them to our storage facility. Someday when we have a house, THEN we can have a record room or a library and have a place for them, but right now, it's kind of sad when the theme of your dining room is vintage vinyl. And we hardly ever play any of them. 
I play some of them. I like to play my Disney, Magic Mirror albums and my original soundtrack recording of “The Wizard of Oz.” It's fun because, especially with the Oz album, I know all the scratches and skips by heart. And it warms my heart to hear them. It's kind of like my playing over and over of the album as a kid made me sort of put my own stamp on it and it is unique to itself. When a certain section of the LP skips, I know that mine is the ONLY one that skips at that particular spot. It used to skip on the part where the house lands only because in my acting out of the record, at that point, I would just tumble down onto the floor and MAKE the record skip, suddenly catapulted into the middle of the munchkinland scene. So I had to fall lightly. I think I would do it in slow motion or something. Again, I grew up isolated out in the woods and had zip neighborhood kids... it was just me. (Yes, I had siblings but nobody wanted to skip down ANY kind of road with me and besides, nobody had the imagination to turn gravel into yellow brick.)

Sorry. Tangent.

Anyway, the movers arrive in 45 minutes. Even though we are only moving this stuff (huge furniture included) a couple of blocks, it still feels like a major move. It stresses me out. I don't know why really. It is apparantly one of the leading causes of stress.

I have to focus on the after picture. A de-cluttered home! 
That will be nice.